No this is not my regular post about comic books in my regular schedule, this is a post that is in fact in relation to something Disney released earlier today. In case you haven't heard Disney will no longer be producing anything to do with slave Leia from Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi, not only that but if reference is made to her it will be by the name 'Hutt Slayer Leia'. Now while I certainly don't want to see Carrie Fisher wear the costume again (for multiple reasons) I can say I am not fully on board with this decision. Now before you jump on me and call me a sexist piece of crap hear me out. The whole Salve Leia costume has been a main stay in pop culture ever since its first appearance, its been seen everywhere from cosplay costumes to even an episode of Friends. Now I can see why Disney would be against the idea of having one of fictions most beloved female heroines be called a slave and I get why you would want to change the name, but that's not what's got me so fired up. No my friends what has me so fired up is the fact that this will effect the way artist on any Star Wars comics for Marvel draw Leia from now on, that's right in addition to no more Slave Leia, or sorry 'Hutt Slayer Leia' Disney also doesn't want any Marvel artist drawing Leia in any 'sexy' poses! The reason this has me pissed off is because I feel like this limits creativity for an artist and even a writer. If you have to shape your story around what big corporations want it can ruin the ability to tell an effective story. The reason the beginning of Return of the Jedi works so well is because we feel as if our heroes have finally been defeated and having Leia wear that skimpy gold bikini was just another reminder of how much trouble our heroes were in. Now I'm not saying we should sit here and promote 'Hutt Slayer Leia' all I'm saying is that there are times when you need to know what is a good thing, and a bad thing to get rid of, especially in a franchise as beloved as Star Wars.
Well that's my two cents! What is your opinion of Disney getting rid of Slave Leia? Let me know in the comments below!
No comments:
Post a Comment