This week for my back issue review I have decided to review Frank Miller's epic story Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, I have chose this book for a couple of reasons, 1: Because it is quite simply one of the greatest comics ever written and 2: We are about to get an unneeded part three this month (I will expand on this more later in the review). So without further a due here is my review of Batman: The Dark Knight Returns!
So this book is set in the future of the Batman universe where Bruce Wayne is now retired and no longer Batman. Gotham was supposedly cleaned up and all the criminals have been locked up in Arkham. This is until a new gang of criminals called the mutants come to Gotham and force Bruce Wayne out of retirement to battle crime once again as an aged Batman. This book is a brilliant work of art that shows not only how Gotham shaped who Batman is but how Batman has shaped his criminals. The writing in this book is superb and you only need to read the monologue at the start of the book to know that, on top of that the off-beat artwork works perfectly with the story and seems to flow in what sometimes seem like over stuffed pages. Now the story has always been what I considered to be the final chapter in the Batman universe, it brings all of his greatest villains to the forefront and gives each and equal chance to fight Batman in as epic a way as possible. We get epic conclusions to his battles with Two-Face and the Joker and finally find out who would win in a fight between Batman and Superman. This is part of the reason why I am not too happy with the fact that there is a third part coming out to this book, the fact that there was a part two is a big enough shame. But I will reserve judgement until part three comes out. So for any Batman fan out there this is the ultimate story and is what I consider the conclusion to his epic history! I recommend this book to any Batman fan looking for quite possibly the definitive ending to his story!
Have you read Batman: The Dark Knight Returns? What did you think of it? Are you excited for part three? Let me know in the comments below and make sure to follow!
No comments:
Post a Comment